Tuesday, September 3, 2019

mothwalk: 9/2/2019

One of the nice things about living in an area that's reasonably forested for 2019 is the abundant supply of caterpillars we get in the fall. I've been sidelined from serious walks, but as I start to get to where I'm both bored enough to want to deal with the breathing complication and willing to tolerate the yoyoing humidity levels from day to day, the rewards are still out there waiting. I didn't take a picture of the one American giant millipede we saw, but here's the moth activity.
 A snowberry clearwing egg
 This stunning hairdo on a rosy maple moth caterpillar
 Bugguide is loading slowly, so I don't know what kind of sphingid this is. Or if it is one.
 I have no idea what these usually-fuzzy chaps are, but this one isn't skipping proleg day.
 A prowling geometer
Again, slow loading pages are preventing me from properly identifying this otherwise neat caterpillar.

I'll have to hit the books when I get home to see if I can figure out what these are, but seeing as how I haven't been able to play real-life pokemon like this in over a month, I actually want to know on a visceral level.

No comments:

Post a Comment