Friday, October 11, 2019

Booze rumination: sheets

As I get in bed and think to myself, "wow, I love getting into a bed with cool sheets, it feels great," I also find myself wondering at what point it crosses from cool to cold... During the winter months, cold sheets are the greatest torture of getting into bed, one alleviated only by time and contact, unmitigated by the softest and fluffiest of blankets atop the icy torture. I could just sleep in blankets, I suppose, but I think that would be too warm. Maybe it's worth trying; Target can sell me a second Warm Fluffy Blanket*, but whatever.

Pictured: the Author, from wikipedia, via a CC 3.0 attribution to Samuel Blanc
I run warm. Traditionally, it's been my strongest asset: not most important, as I think I'm better at listening than being warm, and I'm pretty sure I'm better at playing bass guitar than surviving a snowstorm. Once fall strikes and evenings in the low 40s become the norm, though, my sleep definitely gets better as I'm no longer fighting the disruptive sensation of airflow on my shoulders or feet. Ever since I got my ferritin levels under control, though, I've had a little less tolerance for cold. As a result, I have a little bit of fear that this winter will represent a significant challenge in sliding into bed... I won't have the sensation that I will warm up quickly, and feeling the cold sheets will be more of a psychological burden than in years past. I guess keep an eye on this space to see how things go, but I'm worried I may be slated for incorporating an electric blanket into my daily routine, in the same way that I had to bring in a humidifier for the dry January and February air, and a small fan for the July and August heat.

This is also probably due to the fact that I grew up in coastal Oregon, where the warmest we ever expected it to get in the summer might have been 75 (average high 65.4), and the coldest it'd get in the winter was maybe 37 (average about 40). We had between 10 and 15 degrees of spread between average high and low, too, so it was just kind of "chilly" from October through March or April.

* - I can't remember if the blanket was actually called Warm Fluffy Blanket or Warm Fuzzy Blanket. It's possible it wasn't either, but if that's the case, the name was definitely almost as ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment