Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Unboxing of a different sort

We have something called a Super Grand Mart up the street from me now. When first I went, I had absolutely no idea it was an Asian market, or at least, primarily an asian market. That said, I chose to go back to raid the snack and beverage aisles for comedy's sake. Not much comedy, mind you, but hey.

So here's my bag:
bag

Inside, we begin with a bag of spice that came from a section of only bags of spice.
chili
So, either ground up spices are snacks, or Super Grand carries 40,000 different kinds of this company's products without getting into the snack section of the catalog.

Next, Jasmine tea. Whatever.
jasmine tea

Now, this amused me...
blood pressure tea
This tea tastes awful. I choose to blame the ingredients list, the last item of which is Horny Goat Weed.

On to the snacks!

My mom taught me many years ago to eat Pocky.
bag pocky
All of the white nerd in me, however, cannot possibly imagine the need to buy a bag of Pocky this big. Equivalent to five boxes of regularly packaged Pocky, the price of this magical item is about $4. Regular Pocky is not. I moved on from the bulk pack of Pocky to get some of my favorite variety, the comically named Pocky Men's.
pocky men's
Dark chocolate, dark pretzel, all tasty. A lot of people refuse to believe that such a product exists, but if the marketing wizards at Glico are to be treated as authorities on the matter, Japanese women are not allowed to eat Dark Chocolate.

The most elusive and, despite the fact that I already knew of its existence as well, most amusing product of the haul, though, is the box of Pocky Giant.
pocky giant
I haven't opened it yet, so I have no idea what awaits me. $12 dollars for that box, though... it should be like unwrapping chocolate-covered pretzel rods of gold. Or at least tasty.

As I left the store, I was offered a door prize for shopping. Do you know what that was?

This.
door prize
Note it's not even iodized salt, and I don't use salt for anything, so I couldn't help but walk home with a giant stupid smile on my face for having been handed a can of salt.

Bonus: Look at the sticker on the bananas I bought at Giant earlier...
banana lol

6 comments:

  1. You went to the Asian market and came back with THAT?

    In Birmingham, the Asian market sold Durian. We tried to buy it, but when we picked it up we nearly vomited.

    - Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... a weak offering, but they didn't have much in the way of "omg lol." Then again, I'm not interested in buying fruit when I'm only at home for another two days before I leave.

    I'm barely going to make it through the lolnanas as it is, and I have to cook chili tonight. Have to... meat expires, plus I'll only have tonight, tomorrow night, and Sunday night to eat it.

    No, the real reason was that I wanted Pocky for the train. I'm going to do some real exploration next time, though, and maybe look at getting some real live peppers for something. THAT is what excites me the most about that store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nat,

    You want peppers?

    Next year... Consider growing them if you have a little deck/patio thing at your place. They are some of the most stupidly easy plants to grow, and you can dry them and save them for the rest of the year. That way you can get the exact type you want, and aren't at the whim of the store selection. I used to do that for a while.

    If you've got one, Whole Foods has the second or third best pepper selection around. The first being a good Asian or Latino market, especially if you can find a place that has some of the more unusual to the U.S. market Asian peppers. Whole Foods has a decent selection of peppers, and actually, Shoppers usually has a good supply of dried peppers in communities with large Latino populations.

    Use caution with unknown peppers. ;)

    - Josh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nat,

    And don't buy any packaged products, especially anything that needs added protein. Melamine.

    - Josh

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the ... wtf why is there a comment box on my blog page now?

    Anyway, for the record, the ONLY reason I knew what a durian was before I read your post is that they were in Super Mario Sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weird box!?! I selected a profile.

    Durian = barf.

    ReplyDelete