Friday, March 25, 2011

Spring break

Today marks the last day of the spring break week. It was the only day I had to go to work, despite campus being closed all week to students. I took advantage of the time to disassemble large swaths of my existence and throw things away. I'm down 40+ gallons of unnecessary junk and it feels good. Getting ready to move is proving to be tough work, but I'm finally at a place where I think I can start packing. I hope to be down to the level of skeleton crew as far as my personal belongings goes will make getting out of here easier.

So let's see, what else is going on... I feel pretty good about having arranged my toolbox. My wrenches are all there, I found a few more screwdrivers, and most of my pliers are back in place. I still have a few beetle parts around, at least for the moment. Waiting yet to put any of the new stuff I have for my car on it, but I do have an oil change coming up soon and I'm going to completely nerd out and send in an oil sample for analysis. I curbed myself pretty good a couple weeks ago, and I'm still monitoring that situation to see if I need to do new tires. Sidewall damage wasn't too bad, and the levels aren't sinking any more than what temperature is causing, so I think I'm okay.

One of the downsides to moving is that I won't be able to drive my car as much. One of the upsides, though, is that I'll be able to avoid driving my car so much. I found out I'm averaging 180+ dollars a month in gas. Additionally, I've been feeling a lot more stressed by how bad everyone else is at following the rules recently, and staying off the road will help with that. I think the reason for that is that someone who wasn't paying attention and didn't follow the rules is the reason I hit the curb... I was afraid he was going to drive into me and made the foolish mistake of trying to verify that he wasn't going to do that while simultaneously making sure I didn't run into cross traffic as I slowed on the right turn ramp. Something had to give, and apparently my spatial awareness was what took that fall. I imagine that, ever since then, I've been more attentive in advance of the horrible decisions people around me are making and they're consuming me. It feels good to talk about it, but it'll feel good to live near a bus to work and within walking distance of everything else. Hooray downtown Silver Spring!

1 comment:

  1. downtown silver spring? what's the occasion?

    cleaning out 'junk'..... i keep doing that, yet the death star always feels too full. dunno, maybe some eon i'll stop collecting semi-useful, or even worse, someday-potentially-useful, uh, STUFF.

    -GMT

    ReplyDelete