Monday, February 2, 2009

How's it going with Lightroom?

Well, so far -

  • Deletion of photos - I've killed 3/4 of my existing library. I began that operation with 11,250 photos, almost all of which were from my *ist DL, and started deleting the ones I no longer needed on my hard drive. I finished at 2,895.

  • Keyword tagging - the main impetus behind organizing my library was that someone asked me what a blind pig is. I have a picture of the one my mom has, but I had no idea where it was. Now I can sort on broad categories or, in the case of animals or parks, specific species or locations.

  • Playing with the import process - I don't have high-test computers, so doing the development stuff as batched as possible is key. One of the biggest problems has been generating previews throughout the deletion and tagging processes, so I'm now trying to figure out what the best import workflow is going to be. I just tried "standard," and that went reasonably quickly for 84 images (yes, Josh, mostly compressed PEF). I haven't taken it out and done one shoot yet, though, so I can't comment on how the on-import tagging features work yet.


So there you go. I may have pictures to share by the end of the night, but chances are, my next upload will be tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment