Saturday, July 19, 2008

Hurf Durf

So let's see... I've been more or less completely off the radar for quite some time. Personal projects, birthday from last week, and moving stuff into my storage thing downstairs.

Some things I've accomplished:
  • I now have the Pioneer HD radio add-on doodad in my car. HD radio works remarkably well where I am, but WTOP's HD3 signal is just too weak at the moment to be of any significant use for my inbound commute. This is especially dismaying, as I get HD subchannels for almost all other stations that offer them. I think the only one I have problems with on anything resembling a regular basis is WIYY (98 rock, Baltimore) and even that is only once I get inside the beltway. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with it, though. It does make picking a route home easier, and getting into town to go to the zoo is easier with the added information.

  • I've gotten maybe 15% of my film collection done. I still haven't picked any frames to put up, but oh well. I've got the pathway to where I want to hang some of my bigger posters clear, so at least there's that.

  • For quite some time, I've been wishing someone would make a functional equivalent of Transitions lenses that weren't corrective. Turns out they do... I just ordered a set of climate control (i.e. removable gasket sealed, a feature I'm looking forward to for walking around in the winter) light adjusting shades. Bonus - polycarbonate lenses, ANSI rated to some standard or another. I'm going to give them a whirl; it seems like if they're good enough for the department of defense, they should do something resembling the trick for me.

  • iPod Touch software 2.0: 10 bucks got me the ability to use my iPod as a remote control for iTunes on my desktop computer. Oh, also, I can connect to the campus network without needing a login page now. That's about it.

  • Sweating. Why has it been so hot lately? I've actually gone to see two movies in the last 8 days... one of them actually cost me $10 to sit through.

So that's it for now. I'm starting to feel really useless with my inability to spend more than 20 seconds outside, but I imagine this will fix itself one day. I'm actually going to try to go out for a short walk tomorrow, so I will hopefully have killed a roll of the Kodachrome and have some pictures to post for once.

I seem to remember doing better than this last year and the year before... think it was the move?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, look at all these pictures I took this weekend!

    Oh wait... I spent most of Sunday rolling around on my couch wishing it was cooler in my apartment than I can afford.

    I did buy the last copy (volume 1 and 2) of the Gennedy Tartakovsky Clone Wars on DVD, so I watched that because it was awesome. Then I watched Empire because I wanted to. Take that, Sunday!

    Hopefully you two were more productive than I was...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i moved the lawn, made a non-decision on a faucet to go in a bathroom we're getting closer to finishing (a FUNCTIONAL non-decision tho!), silly stuff like that. mostly just a nice weekend to have the Girl back from a 10-day business trip out of the country.

    maybe next weekend will be more productivish

    -GMT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nat,

    I feel your pain.

    I spent Thursday and Friday moving my sister into her apartment in Towson, and the A/C was broken in the apartment until Saturday morning. The best the A/C could do was about 77-79 degrees, but with the door open for all the moving, it got hotter than that. It was about 90% of the worst days in B'ham, but down there you stay indoors on those days.

    I haven't taken a picture since the middle of June at Eshqua Bog. The bar is Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, so by next Friday I should be able to get back out. Unfortunately, now all the wildflowers have mostly bloomed, and the waterfalls are dry again.

    - Josh

    ReplyDelete