Wednesday, August 22, 2007

True bugs

true bug

I have to figure out exactly what I found, but it's a true bug like an assassin. Check the proboscis mouthpart underneath there... this with my 50mm macro and external flash, f11 and 1/16th output. It was hanging out on the house probably 8 feet off the ground; I had to hold the camera out above my head and look at the center crop of the viewfinder to check focus. Kind of fun, actually!

Update: it's a long-necked seed bug. I actually sent a resized crop to what's that bug? because the only other picture they had of one was a very noisy silhouette of it; as they said, though, it was distinctive enough to identify it anyway.

Double update: says Dan of WTB:
Hi Nat,
Thanks so much for providing our site with this much needed image of a
Long Necked Seed Bug in the genus Myodocha. BugGuide has many images
of this genus.

Picture's up on the True Bugs 5 page. I'm helping the Internet!



in other news...
Sadly, the rubber hand grip on the side of the camera has started to detach. I use it too much, use it outside too much, and use it in changing temperatures and humidities too much. Rubber's stretching and the glue is failing.

Glue brand suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment