Saturday, August 18, 2007

More Patapsco Valley

[edit from 2019: removed the pictures, leaving the rest of the text because I forgot about the snail area and remembering it made me smile. Also, to this day, people marvel at the hiking and taking forever to get anywhere because I notice everything. I guess that was a thing back in 2007, too]

I found a place along the river where the bottom is covered in tiny snails. It was somewhere between 3 and 4 miles of walking, given the backtracking I ended up doing, but I think it was worthwhile.

One of the things that continues to amuse me about my approach to hiking is the amount of stuff I find by just slowing down and paying attention. The nymphs along the river, or the bed of snails... most people probably don't know about that stuff.

The only birds I saw were a tufted titmouse and some turkey vultures. I heard another that didn't sound familiar, a high pitched single note, starting out, going down slightly, and then raising in pitch. I'll have to figure that out on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment