Saturday, June 24, 2006

Sensor dust

I learned two lessons today.

1) Sensor cleaning kits are expensive, and the people at Ritz are too monumentally stupid to even carry them.

2) It's a very good thing I never shoot stopped down because cleaning the sensor only made it worse, if not damaging the protectant.

Crap!

Isn't that pretty? That's what my squeeze blower did. Now, after expending four of my 12 swabs (that cost me, along with their methanol, over 60 dollars), that stuff is mostly gone. It appears there's a scratch on the upper right corner of the sensor as-you-face-it, which means there are weird markings at the lower right corner of the image. sigh... I think it's scratched now, but I guess I'm sending it off to whoever to have it professionally inspected at some point. Maybe it can still be cleaned by someone more able than I. Maybe not. I guess, if nothing else, I can use this as an excuse to buy a K100D in a month or so.

And uh... even if not, it's a good thing I shoot wide-open, right?

sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment