Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Call Me Odin

Juvenile Crow

No larger version because the picture sucks, but I just wanted to prove it was juvenile or something.

Anyway, I was on my way out of the office at about 8:25... I got to the little four-way junction between Key and Woods when I saw something flapping around the handrail leading down toward Main Admin. I figured "Great, a broken Grackle or Starling I'm going to have to kill... just how I wanted to end my day."

Lo and behold, it's a Juvenile Crow. I can see and hear its parents up above, too... presumably, they were rolling around the trees going "uh... where's our kid?" Anyway, the kid is frantically trying to fly, but it's just too young yet. It's hopping between bars on the handrail and the brick thing you see up above.

Eventually, it hops down onto the side, and I get up really close to it and start talking to it. "Hey bud, you look like you're in a bit of trouble. You gotta go over that way" as I point to the mulched area.

It wasn't listening, so I started pointing while I nudged its tailfeathers.

It looked up at me, then hopped off where I was pointing, retreating back into the corner.

I was going to take a better picture, but as I was getting set up, a blue jay crapped on my hand.

A good end to a terrible day, I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment