Thursday, March 2, 2006

Colorless musings

I want to do black and white with a normalish lens for one reason: I seem to take decent pictures that way. With bw film and longer lenses, you generally don't get enough homogenous color to have a meaningful exposure. I took a lot of good pictures of geese last year that I didn't want on a black and white frame, but they taught me an important lesson: sometimes, not "having to worry about the color interactions" means not "having to worry about having taken anything but an awful picture."

With a normal lens, one that focuses reasonably close as my 50/1.7 does, I get the presto chango of being able to say "wow I bet parking meters look really good in black and white." Thinking "I want to take pictures of a dark sidewalk" or "This stairwell is particularly inspiring" works out well also. 

And I might finally have an excuse to process myself. who would know?

No comments:

Post a Comment