Sunday, October 30, 2005

We Have the Technology

So here's the problem:

I created a recipie for beer that is incredible in flavor. Very chocolate, very roasted coffee. Problem? It didn't carbonate. I left it in fermentation too long, apparently, and the yeast wasn't strong enough to carbonate. It pressurized some, but not enough to make the gas stay in suspension.

My solution?

I'm going to buy a tube or two of yeast and priming sugar, and make varying concentrations of mixture that I will add to bottles of water, possibly grained water.

What do I hope to learn from this? here goes:

Hypothesis: there exists some concentration of yeast-to-sugar that results in a bottle's worth of carbonation.
Test method: produce five or so concentrations of said mixture, adding each to a bottle. Let sit for a week.
Evaluation: pour each solution. Based on fizz, choose a solution mixture suitable for adding to each bottle of flat beer.

Success? I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment