Sunday, October 23, 2005

Building Apple's ChatServer 37.1

Since google was of absolutely no assistance to me on this, I've taken it upon myself for adding drections on how to build the ChatServer-37.1 as found here in Apple's Darwin Open Source project listing.

First and foremost, the project doesn't have the traditional configure - make - make install build path I've come to expect from open source projects. For this tarball, Apple includes all dependencies (apparently) and the process is rolled into the main Makefile.

The end result of this seems to be that, in order to install this package (providing jabber and iChatServer), all you have to do is cd into the ChatServer-37.1 directory and tell it to make install.

That should be it... I'm currently waiting for the make process to finish. I think the process should result in a fully functional Mac OS X service, but I'll let you know. Not that you care. Like I said, public service.

[appending:]
So this didn't work right. The build failed for a file called membershipPriv.h. This is annoying because nobody else on the internet had this probelm and had google find a result for them. However, further contributing to the public good, I found an alternative: use darwinbuilds.

I have yet to see this complete successfully, but # darwinbuilds ChatServer seems to be doing well for itself.

[appending:]
A lot of things don't work right. I tried to manually install the necessary libraries after darwinbuilds failed to complete its installation properly. As it is now, I got it to compile fine, apparently, but the installation fails during ditto because I already have python 2.3 installed.

Joy. Mucking about with makefiles is enough to make me stay up until 1:30 for no reason.

Also I'm surrounded by suck at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment