Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Oh the things we realize

I went to weather.com and inspected the hurricane report just now.

I realized something... while I lived in Oregon, I had managed to completely fail to realize that hurricanes happen every year. I don't even remember hearing about Andrew or Hugo or any of that outside of the general "a hurricane came through." Living on the appropriate side of the country changes your perspective, I suppose.

It's not like we didn't have powerful weather; many a winter did we spend ducking away from powerful arctic cyclonic systems that would bring 70 mile an hour gusts along with several inches of rain. I suppose we thought less of those, though, because they were so spread out and banded that it never really registered as one storm if you were a casual observer. Knowing what I do about how weather works now, though, I guess we were fortunate that storms like that couldn't strengthen themselves.

Now, with Ophelia bearing up on the coast, I continue wondering if it'll manage to have any effect on our weather here. This brings about that realization from earlier: every summer, the weather channel gets several dozen visits from me just to check up on hurricanes.

Funny how things work.

No comments:

Post a Comment