Thursday, September 15, 2005

Nerd Commentary

I'm trying the related URL thing here, but if it doesn't work, hit this if you care.

Scott Berkun, a former developer for the MS Internet Explorer UI, changed to Firefox recently as his primary browser due to issues in IE's current implementation. He, however, took issue with some of FF's quirks, especially involving window behavior and its effects on tabs and the find bar.

I don't really have any problem with a developer defending his choices in software, but sometimes, an adversarial response buried within friendly justifications is just kind of revolting (probably not the right word). I apply that to this paragraph from Asa Dotzler (Firefox UI developer):

I'm really pleased that other than those issues, Scott, who worked on IE versions 1-5, is finding Firefox to be a better fit than IE. It's even better that he's offering some good feedback. Without high quality feedback, we wouldn't have the Firefox we do today.

It's that "other than those issues" thing that bothers me. I like hearing that people are pleased with my product, as it's much easier for them to say "Hey, I like your database changes" than it is for them to say "I hate everything about it."

What irks me, though, is the broadcast concept that him taking issue with some design choices is an affront to what they're doing. In this case, leaving out other than those issues would result in "I'm really pleased that Scott is finidng firefox to be a better fit... Without feedback [etc]"

It's more effective that way, I say. I must say, though, that I do like seeing a reasonable set of responses to criticisms instead of the all-too-slashdot trend of simply going "We did tabs because that's what we decided and we're not open to suggestions, thanks for playing."

More importantly, I think it's interesting that Dotzler pushes the extensions. I think that's a great move on his part. As someone who has done some UI work for a project recently, I'd love to have the ability to say "Well, I set it up that way because I don't want people making this change or that, but never fear... since I work in such a great team environment, you have the ability to override my decision and do what actually works best for you, a real person."

I admire that, and wish I could say the same. Unfortunately, filemaker is not friendly for that. Oh well.

Garp garp garp.

No comments:

Post a Comment