Sunday, May 22, 2005

I'm done with finals

Yeah... uhh, done with finals. Spring 2005 ended with me having a B- in some class, an A- in corrections, a B in family studies, and a god knows what in Race and Crime. My grade in that class is still out, pending an investigation of the 2.5 pages of completely made up "I think race is necessary if only to curb racism" [edit from 2019: I am sure I no longer line up with where I thought about that in 2005, as I've been alive and paying attention to how the world works for the last decade-plus].  Anyway, I may make a 3.5 this term. That would be supernice. As it is now, I'm happy expecting my 3.3.

So what have I been up to? All last week, I spent most of my time sleeping or being awake at 6. Needless to say, this led to me being utterly unproductive. Since finals ended, I have taught myself many things. The last couple of weeks have been good for the ol' interpersonals. That's an as-it-happens though. Uhh... work is good, I'm waiting to propose that I work full time until it's time to work.

I leave for Florida on Tuesday. I think. I may wait until wednesday, but who knows at this point. I'm taking my bass and amplifier; I want to maybe have my brother experience what life is like on a pro-grade rig and a mid-level bass. This also makes for a convenient excuse to show you what I did today.

SansAmp rack view 1
I fashioned a custom bracket to mount my SansAmp bass driver to my amp and cabinets.
SansAmp rack view 2
Why? Well, many a year ago, my dad presented me a SansAmp Bass Driver DI for christmas. I loved it because, at the time, I had a super-el-cheapo bass that it magically forced into sounding good. Eventually, I bought a better bass, and used it to make my little cheap amplifier sound good. Then I had to sell my bass in November of last year because I had to go to California. In February of this year, I bought my Warwick, and that's been nice, but in March, I had to sell my practice amp and bass processor (because I had to go to California), leaving me with only my stack.* My SansAmp had been, up until today, sitting on the floor where I had been using it with my practice amp. I got sick of this and decided to do something about it. A trip to Home Depot and a couple of bucks later, what you see above is what we have now. It's nice because it can create some natural sounding distortion without worrying me about tube life. More importantly, though, is that it's at an easily adjustable level, which allows me to turn on and off the "sweet spot" more easily and effectively than trying to build a pedalboard to control my amp's equalizer sections. So yeah, that's that. I'll probably update you with how my trip down to Tallahassee goes. I'm planning on showing my brother I already wrote about this.

sigh.

At least I get to go to the beach when I get back.

* - The rack is as follows:
ETA Lighting systems PD9
Shure LX Wireless Receiver
Korg ToneWorks DTR-2 Tuner (somewhat comparable)
--blank--
Ampeg SVT3 Pro

all of that in some plastic 6-rackspace ... rack

Then that sits on top of two Bag End S15X-D speaker cabinets (one of which has casters attached to the bottom).
Yeah... Music. Basically, 450 watts of wireless bass goodness that I never use because I'm not in a band. I'm good enough, dammit... you've heard me play if you've read this long enough. I taught myself "Too Many Puppies" today, for crying out loud.

Never mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment