Sunday, April 17, 2005

Status Report

So... I made a few changes "under the hood."

I've become sick of looking at source code, so I haven't made any progress on my other project. My hopes for the future are as follows:

Move the bulk of my website to my home machine. This really has one and only one advantage: I get to use PHP/sqlite to run the site, allowing me to cut way back on the amount of maintaining necessary to bring you a "quality" web experience. What will this mean to you? Well, it's my intention at this point to keep all text and small images on my home machine. Reducing my dependence on wam will be a good stepping stone to doing what I want with the internet, instead of the internet doing what it wants with my content.

Continue serving media on my tech fee's shoulders. WAM gives me 100 megabytes, and that's it. Between the textual portion of the site, my picture thumbnails, the myriad MP3 files I've uploaded, and all of the preferences that every damn computer on campus insists upon storing on my server space ensure that space only goes so far. Moving half of that away will make ... well, something.

Have a full and working GTK+ 2.6 X11 environment working. Since I have to sell my iBook, I need to have a way for me to get work done while I'm here or there. The easiest and most painless (in eventuality; my knees and hindquarter are practically screaming at me for having waited through Firefox building in X11 mode) way for me to do this is to enable a web browser, IM client, and editing software usable either via VNC or SSH tunneling. I'd prefer VNC, but I'm not keeping my hopes up for the realVNC supplied x tree patch doing its thing correctly, much less the software working well with x.org's 6.8 release. Anyway, to be able to serve applications remotely to myself is my eventual goal here. I am, I believe, about 80 percent of the way done with this. Firefox is almost done, gaim is almost ready to go (waiting on Firefox's nss libraries, as I understand it) and I have dynamic DNS updating installed. Anyone willing to donate a small USB flash drive? Bogarthlet (the cruzer micro my dad gave me for Christmas) was laid to rest by an airport xray machine, and apparently you're not supposed to put things that shouldn't be shorted out by those sorts of things through security, anyway. I need a replacement to keep an ssh client, an sftp client, preferably an scp client, and a VNC viewer or X11 client. Not likely any time soon, I realize.

Continue being happy. I am now the student coordinator for the College of Arts & Humanities Academic Computing Services/Classroom Support Services Equipment Loan Program. This means, among other things, I finally am working a meaningful position that requires me to do database redesign. Oh boy. The promotion, though, means apparently I get to "live" though, and hopefully when I have less to worry about as far as paying rent goes, I won't have to deal with needing to do stupid crap like wasting money and then having to sell my laptop.

Anyway, that's that. I'm going to try to work out my php scripts tomorrow and at least have the new address up and running half-time so you can become acquainted with it. I'm looking to either next weekend, two weeks from now, or three weeks from now as when I do my migration. I will be trying to include all blogger posts along with all of my old handcoded content. Ambitious, I know, but my hope is that I can just dump the two in somewhere and start anew with PHP and sqlite.

ugh, 4:17am. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment