Sunday, May 23, 2004

The death of a Cicada (or, how my trip to florida made my butt hurt)

There I was, going over the new "mixing bowl" ramp from the inner loop to I-95 south, when SMACK and there's 'bird crap' on my window. I think to myself, great, I just hit a bird and it got its revenge upon me. BUT NO! I gazed at the floor to see how much damage the bird had done when to my surprise I find about 2/3 of a cicada wildly circling on the floorboard of the passenger side of the car. As it turns out, the bird crap was really a mixture of organ materials and her eggs. Needless to say, I had to stop at Dumfries to remove said mess from the car, but the cicada had worked its way into the back seat of the car where it refused to submit to my attempts to remove it from the car. I decided force would be the solution, at which point it seemed to decide that agreeing with me would be a better idea. I flung it into the road, where hopefully it died quickly.



After that, my trip was uneventful. I stopped for gas a total of three times, but I probably could have streched it out to two if I had someone else to drive with me. Arrived in Tallahassee one minute ahead of my Jacksonville-vintage ETA of 11:15 pm, which put the total length of the trip at just over fourteen hours. Not a bad statistic, given that I drive "like grandma" and "need to go faster." I guess that's only necessary if you intend to stop to hit bathrooms every 80 miles. Of course, I didn't really "eat" either, but hey, you get what you pay for.

No comments:

Post a Comment